Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Public Enemy #1 - Mold

After this weekend mold has just taken the number one spot over mosquitoes, sand & cockroaches as most annoying obstacle to enjoying perfection in the tropics. It grows quickly and is a beast to remove. Here are a few of the places I have found it lately besides the usual grout* and shower curtain liner - on a wooden spoon that had been in the dishwasher for two days, the back of someones toothbrush, all over the double stroller, on our microfiber sofa and on this shirt that had been in the laundry basket for no more than three days. It always manifests itself as these tiny black spores. The only thing I've found to eliminate it is something I'm not a huge fan of using much of, but in moments of neccessity - bleach - not everything can be bleached but luckily all of the above can and has been (except for the sofa, which was whitish and maybe could have withstood a bleach solution, but they gave us a new one for other reasons so we are now mold free)













*Another highly caustic but effective product is Tilex Mold and Mildew Root Spray. I highly recommend it wherever you live.

6 comments:

Erika said...

It's nice to know there are some drawbacks to living in paradise!!

Here in NJ, it's the wind that's my main complaint. It blows everything away!

And yes, that is our Ergo carrier on our blog that we LOVE!

Sarah said...

As much rain as we have here, I haven't noticed mold--so add that to your list of reasons to love WA. =)
BTW, your comments on my blog have cracked me up. Since we rarely see the sun here, any hint of a tan I might have is the result of the one sunny day when everyone went running outside and forgot the sunblock (what's that?).

amy said...

Just wait. It doesn't end there... in paradise. Here on the North Coast we have the same annoying mold, however, slower to grow. Other common places to look...flip your mattress, books, closets, etc. I guess these are sorta obvious now that I think about it. Suggestions, open windows, lots of sunshine, and a de-humidifier.
Cheers.

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

the laundry would be an issue for us... i laundry pretty much stays in the basket until it is worn... although, i'd trade mold to live in paradise any day! :)

alise said...

Wilsooooooon!!!! (I know I'm not the first to do that, but every time your blog loads, it's my first thought :)

I've ruined several of Hunter's best shirts (well my favorites) the same way. Hasn't happened in a while.

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

Keep your fingers crossed that your couch makes it to Washington mold free.