Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Nature's Bounty



These were my carrots. I kept them in the ground as long as possible (harvested 9-2009) and the lush green tops were getting me excited. Much to my dismay this is what I pulled up.


I don't know whether to blame rocky soil or transplanting tender seedlings at the wrong time but these are the saddest gnarliest carrots I have ever seen. I was hoping to have a family taste test to see which color was preferred. Instead I washed them off and chomped a few myself then tossed them into the compost pile. The purple were the best.


Even though I grew tired of the gardening thing by the end of summer, and even though I couldn't bend over to plant anything at the moment if I wanted to, looking at these pictures and getting seed catalogs in the mail makes me excited for what might come forth from the soil per our hard work next year. All I know is that it won't be zucchini. And that I will plant my tomato plants farther away from each other (who knew they got so big?). I will probably be starting seedlings here inside come March. Depending of course on when my own seedling decides to arrive.











(I had always wanted to make a panzanella (bread salad) and having basil, tomatoes and scallions in the garden provided the perfect opportunity. But I was the only one who liked it)


One thing we had copious amounts of besides squash and tomatoes were dahlia's. In October when I finally thought we needed to cut down the cutting garden we had enough flowers to make bouquets for three of our neighbors plus ladies I visit teach. Avery made deliveries on her tricycle in the rain. the tubers have since been pulled up and stored for the winter to prevent rotting.

5 comments:

ZooMom said...

Nice job! Your flowers are lovely - and all the tomatoes and peppers look yummy! I miss the great garden climate there. Squash is right out here - pumpkins are shipped up from WA for Halloween. If your soil is rocky, or too silty, the carrots will do that. For long and straight carrots your soil should be well tilled and slightly sandy to about 1.5-2 feet deep (has to do with the root hairs).

Pattersons said...

the salad looks scrumptious-can't believe ben didn't want to gobble that right up! and the flowers are gorgeous-jealous that you have a garden and i'm wanting one...someday.

TOVAR said...

Those carrots would have fit perfectly in Lord of the Rings. I am sure Hobbits' carrots would look just like that. This year I am going to attempt gardening. Wish me luck or maybe I'll just ask Shannon all her magical tricks.

sara said...

i'm starving. i could use some fresh garden goodness.

Breeana said...

Those tomatoes make my mouth water!! I also made panzanella for my family and I was the only one who liked it too. We might be heading your way in July in which case I would be happy to share a bowl of panzanella with you. :)