Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Hymnbook for the modern LDS child.



Avery's Book o' Hymns 2008. She had me make this not this previous summer but the one before that. I found it and photographed it when we were moving. I'm sure that this compilation of religious and secular songs under a familiar green cover could be offensive to some. The humor outweighs the sacrilege to me but frankly, I'm afraid to ask her what songs she might like to add to it now.
She started off in the right spirit with Mormon primary favorites such as I am a Child of God and I Love to See the Temple then lifted the tempo a bit with a favorite among contemporary protestant youth groups Our God is an Awesome God. Naturally a Black-Eyed Peas song such as Pump-It was to follow. Her final selections were retro: Elton John's Bennie and the Jets, Talking Heads Psycho Killer (don't worry grandma it's not as bad as it sounds. plus this one has a special place in my heart because avery's dad is ADORABLE when he sings it and brings back memories of our honeymoon road trip up the california coast). No book o' hymns is complete without a little Aloha Oe pasted in the back cover as it were when we lived overseas so that about rounds it out. A little something for everyone.
*I am not a musician and so the notage on the songs is not accurate. So please don't try to play any of these songs from the pages above. :)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm impressed you can draw the treble clef. It's like a backward curly-Q cursive S, and I'm lost at 'backward.'

Lynn said...

Well at least a few years of taking music lessons afforded me something. I can draw a treble clef.

Pattersons said...

where can i get a copy for our home?:)

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Show one's gratitude you for sharing. Positively advantage my time.

Andy and Yolanda said...

Great song selections...I couldn't help but belly laugh through that post:)

Ashley Locke said...

Oh man!! Hilarious! Avery is going to be a stand up comic one day, I just know it!!