Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Six


Avery's 6th birthday was all about seeing how much sugar we could consume. We kicked off the occasion in California the day before we left with these delicious treats provided by Grandma Leah. If I could remember the bakery they were from in Redlands I would give a shout out and tell you to try the lemon cupcake next time you're in the neighborhood but I don't know the name. Looks like it'll be Cuca's burritos followed by cupcakes next time we are home.

On her actual birthday we did the treats for school thing. I was planning on making cupcake lollipops for the class but we found this pretzel butterfly cupcake idea and it was easy enough that Miles and Avery could decorate all of them by themselves. Ben helped me make the cupcakes, I frosted them and the kids decorated them. They actually didn't turn out as badly as I thought they would. I made some chocolate and some funfetti - next time, and I should have known this, I will only make one kind because even though giving a class of kindergartners a choice of vanilla or chocolate seems like a good idea - it only causes problems. Everyone wanted chocolate.
To my amusement and slight horror Avery went to the front of the class after she thought everyone was done eating and gracefully got their attention (think clasping hands and looking around at everyone and saying "I'll wait" until everyone appeared rapt). She then proceeded to thank everyone for coming to her party (she did acknowledge that they had to come anyhow, but that she was grateful for their attendance that day) and then told everyone that after they got their backpacks and jackets that they could come up front and meet her little brother Miles. And I'm pretty sure she was wearing a tiara at the time. Her teacher (who I absolutely love) was like "uh, no, everyone needs to get in line for the bus" (I asked the teacher if she would be surprised that Avery was the daughter of not one but two ASB presidents (which isn't indicative of anything except that we like attention and a certain degree of power. i'm pretty sure I ran uncontested, not sure about Ben) and without flinching (or smiling) shook her head no. Anyhow, Avery has much more of a presidential presence than either of her parents and I have a feeling her campaign has just begun)) So instead we had Miles give high fives down the line as we made our exit. Avery rode the bus home. Not for any reason other than she loves to.
Then we went home and made cupcake lollipops (without sticks) (a baked cake mix crumbled and mixed with cream cheese frosting and formed into balls then dipped in white chocolate and decorated. This was way to much sugar even for me. But it's a cute idea.








6 comments:

Pattersons said...

i'm so digging the cupcakes...and avery:) if i'm not mistaken, those cupcakes look like martha green cupcakes. let's just say i've had a few...or more. happy #6 avery!!!

JMK said...

I love cupcakes on a stick! Had them at my niece's party -- yum yum! Happy Birthday to Avery!A birthday all about sugar is exactly what Julia is hoping for next month :)

Anonymous said...

Lynn
Can you believe I actually read(and so enjoyed!) your blog! It is only because your Mom helped me! I am still so lame at anything with the computer that it makes me nervous and mad! But I absolutely loved reading all about Avery's big day at school(WOW what a kid!) and cupcakes and all! Thanks for taking the time to share these precious moments! Love Grandma Leah( High-five to Miles!)

The McKinstry Family said...

Those are such cute ideas. I wish I was more creative. Chan's elementary doesn't let them bring any goodies in for their birthday's, it's kinda sad.

sara said...

avery we love you! kate wants to have her birthday party at the school so that all of kindergarten can come. it's a good thing that these girls are at different schools, because i think they would have to run against each other for president. :)

Tami said...

I guess if Carol can turn 5, then Avery can turn 6. I'm still counting on her marrying Porter.