Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sand is not the enemy.

Cockroaches are.

Last week some girls, one whose husband owns a pest control company here (I wonder if they exterminate ants from printers...) were talking about getting roach infestation in their car! So bad that they eventually had to tear out the insulation and redo the upholstery. I have to vacuum and/or sweep every night to make sure we don't get overrun in our house (having none is not an option here) but in the car?! She said that they can live off of one greasy fingerprint for two weeks.

So what do I see crawling on the seat when I'm getting Miles out today. Of course, a tiny german roach. I came home, emptied the entire car and stripped the carseats - cause if they can live off a fingerprint for two weeks then they can live off carseat crud for decades. Especially if they like Cheerios (or M&Ms) - and detailed the car as best I could. Luckily I didn't see any more bugs, just the usual offender - sand. But I'll be watching for them.

10 comments:

Doug and Merrill said...

K, so this is not the first story I've heard about bugs in cars. This family in the stake has a Honda Odyssey that one day flooded from the engine or something. When she took it in to get "fixed up" the guy handed her two ziplock bags full of cockroaches. Like she wanted to have them back after he had just taken them all out of the car! Gross, huh?

TOVAR said...

I don't know if sand isn't the enemy. I saw those pictures of Miles at the beach. . .that had to have had some adverse rubbing and chaffing. Your story did help me not covet your family for all of a few seconds which was nice for a change.

Michael and Rachel said...

Once again, its me. Someone you don't really know commenting on your blog. Oh well. :) My first car in Hawaii was a Geo Tracker and I would get cockroaches ALL THE TIME climbing out of the air ducts by the windshield to say hello. Especially at night when they didn't think I could see them. I would always scream and get home as fast as I could. Nasty. I'm sorry you had to experience it.

sara said...

sick. sick. sick.

Sarah said...

I was just tuned into your blog and have to say - I'm so impressed. As a brand new blogger, I have a lot to aspire too! Keep up the great entertainment!

Terese said...

Holy Cow! I guess you have to learn to become one with the roaches. Poor little Miles with the film canister. I am learning everyday the differences in the lives of little boys! Standing up to use the toilet gets tricky when you have an upset stomach...so I've recently learned with Noah.

Unknown said...

Glad you detailed it before I get there... I don't like roaches very much.

Sarah said...

Have you seen 'Enchanted'? Those cockroaches can be good for something . . . have fun!

And if you haven't seen it, you can borrow mine when you get here. So stinkin' cute--no wonder every little girl wants to be a Princess.

bethy said...

I love reading your blog! You have such a way with putting descriptions to words. Gracie loved the video of Miles dancing. SHe kept saying it was Nina (her sister).

Tami said...

Well, atleast you won't have to worry about that in WA.