Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Bikini Baristas



There are lots of things I don't get. How airplanes full of people and cargo stay in the sky, how cameras capture a moment in time, the appeal of Twitter and the list goes on. I also didn't get why one local drive-through coffee hut had a large banner that read "NO BIKINIS" on it.

How was I to know that at many of these drive through establishments girls are serving coffee in their...well not much. They are known here (as far as I know this is just a Washington thing) as bikini baristas but frankly I've never seen one wearing even that much. And it's not like you have to look hard for these places. There is Java Girls, Hot Chick-a-Latte, Brewlesque, Twin Perks, Natte Latte and more. Mostly I think the concept is humorous - except that I can see the girls when I am just driving by on the street which means my kids and husband (this gal says she's not after him though which makes me feel a ton better) can see them also. And they are wearing lingerie, not bikinis. Apparently from one article I read I should be grateful that the "Sexpresso" hut that I get to drive by on the way to church has girls wearing more than pasties and thongs, because apparently that's the minimum dress code they are to abide by.

I had a camera in my car one day when I was able to snap this quick photo of such an establishment. It was 39 F outside which I guess is why this gal is so covered up.


Part of me is frightened for these young ladies and many have admitted that they get creepo-s exposing themselves to them and probably imagining far worse. One gal threw boiling water on a man who flashed her multiple times at 5am, which is decent self-defense but wouldn't it better to have a job that didn't leave you quite so vulnerable?

Anyhow, people can do whatever they want, even if I don't get it. I'm just not sure why it's allowed on a public street. Lately, they have been busting gals for doing more than serving coffee (and sometimes extra whipped cream) in certain locations. So, good on the police who cracked down on those engaging in indecent exposure and prostitution (not sure why the investigation took two months but I'm sure whoever was assigned to this case took their job very seriously).

9 comments:

Ashley Locke said...

We had one of those here too. I actually think it closed b/c of all the complaints. At least that girl doesn't weigh 250 lbs, which a lot of the ones working here were probably pushing, bikini and all :)

Pattersons said...

what the heck?! i've never even heard of such a thing! crazy people. i don't get it either...

The McKinstry Family said...

We had a bikini cuts (hair salon) in Utah where they wore bikinis to cut hair. One was right on the corner of a busy street that you could see into the building. I tried not to go that way very often. Maybe it's me, but wouldn't the hair itch when getting in certain spots. These establishments are really not needed.

Ben said...

I completely disagree with the previous comments. These are generally hard working girls, many of which are just trying to pay their way through school. Furthermore, they have expanded the genre of public servants beyond the police officer/fireman/military soldier oligopoly.

jen said...

this is news to me...but apparently not to ryan. he watches and reads every article & show dealing with bikinis.

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

What! Never heard of sexpresso... sick! I knew that they were big on their coffee up there, so figures they'd put the two together! So weird!

Erika said...

wow....it's definitely not in Texas!! Wow...is really all I have to say.

Breeana said...

I'm so relieved to know that there are jobs available should I decide to work once we get out there. :)

Andy and Yolanda said...

What will they come up with next? I'm sure Andy would become a coffee drinker if we had one of those in town:)