Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

October Recap.

Ben - Without a doubt the highlight of the month/year for him was a well-deserved trip to Aspen (which in my head is pronounced with a whisper and a dramatic wave of the hand As-pen - since it's such a fancy place. (I'm sure that aside doesn't go over very well in print...as is frequently a problem when trying to communicate my thoughts into written word. Bear with me.)) Back to As-pen. I don't think they ever made it into the actual town, but Carbondale just doesn't have the same ring to it. He met up with his dad and brother Kit for five days of fly-fishing. I guess it was fun.


I know this isn't the greatest picture, but I just noticed that the same sweater that Ben wears to church every week is the same one he was wearing while fishing. You gotta love that guy. Excuse me, while I go put that one through the wash.


I know some of you are still waiting for more info on his tanning escapades. I am still searching for an important piece of evidence regarding that, and he's not helping. In fact, he has erased some of what I had prepared. However, he was flattered that pictures were requested.

Miles - Spent most of the month singing Happy Birthday to himself and blowing out pretend candles. Since I realized he was really getting a kick out of the whole birthday party concept- presents, cake etc., I felt like I couldn't deny him the chance to have a party, even though I hadn't been planning on giving him one. I also realize how unfair this is considering his sister had quite a bash for her 1st and 3rd bdays. So some last minute scrambling and an awesome cake idea from here resulted in a fun gathering with a group of friends who had been East-coasters with us for a time. The best part is that now Miles has boy toys all his own. Hooray!

As for the discussion about when the terrible twos actually start, I would like to weigh in with them starting at 18 months. How long they last is another conversation altogether.


Avery - Is continuing her motivational speaking tour. Next stop - a playground near you. Taking a giant step toward televangelist missionary, A. has been overheard preaching the Gospel to misfits at the park. After a recent altercation where a little girl had slapped another girl and threatened to kick another in the stomach, she led the girl to a spot under the slide and proceeded to tell her about the great plan of happiness, including excerpts of the creation story and the good news of the birth of the Savior. I had to climb some playground equipment to try to get a good listen but I heard her telling her followers that Jesus was born as a tiny baby in a place like this (under the slide among the woodchips?) and that we are all God's children. After that they emerged as friends.

In the car I told A. how nice that was of her to work things out instead of retaliating. She told me, "well at first I told her I was going to punch her in the face, but then I had to show her love". Oh.

Me - I enjoyed my week alone with the kids while Ben was gone - it was pretty much like any other week except that I don't have to make dinner or do as much laundry. This left me time to watch a movie. It's been a long time since I've watched a movie and an even longer time since I have actually enjoyed one. But I really liked Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day with Amy Adams (who plays a naughty version of her Enchanted character in this film). Two thumbs up. The rest of my month was spent fretting about the state of the economy, reading up on politics and making lists. I don't suppose anyone is interested in my current stock picks, but I've identified some that I would snatch up if I had some discretionary funds.

In more interesting news, WE STARTED ON OUR HOUSE! Well, we started clearing trees anyhow. We had hoped to start in October and we were thinking early October but the 31st is October just the same. I have been trying to compile our experiences and am making a separate blog so that we can have a record of our adventure. Anyone is welcome to check it out but I'm going to make it private so that we don't have to spare any detail. Let me know if you want access, I'll just need your email address if I don't already have it. If you are a regular lurker on this blog and don't want to be left out of the fun, reveal yourself and once I perform a background check you can have access too ;) (as a part-time lurker myself, I know nothing is worse than being locked out of a blog).

16 comments:

Sarah said...

Okay, I love the pic in the leaves--what cute kids you have! And I'm totally cracking up at the missionary in the park scenario. Punch her in the face, then show love? Awesome. I think she got that from the D&C (something or other with sharpness, afterwards love unfeigned--you know the one). And lastly, hook me up, lady! My blog and spam email is sarahlarnett@gmail.com. Oh yeah, congrats on starting on the house--hip hip hooray!

Ashley Locke said...

Hey! Oh geez Avery cracks me up! Will you add me to your house blog? I definitely want to follow. ashmlocke@gmail.com

amy said...

Count me in! It's always fun to be updated (especially with a preamble like...so we don't have to spare any detail).
That is very exciting - Congrats!
I love the picture of Avery and Miles, adorable.

TOVAR said...

Tell me about the whole locked out of blogs. I am sure Kathleen and Shannon have fantastically wonderful things on their blogs, but I am locked out. . .hint hint. I just love hearing about all the silly things that go on in other people's lives. My question is, What are you doing at home to have such an avid gospel sharer? add me on
rachelletovar@yahoo.com (that is an available email for Kathleen and Shannon too)

Tarah said...

you know the address...hook me up :)

Pattersons said...

count us in! our e-mail address is mmnmp@juno.com - and about avery's approach to problem solving? i like it:)

Wilde ones said...

I'd love to see the house saga as it progresses. You have my email.

Unknown said...

I thought you were a full time lurker, not part time. Anyway, thanks for the update... it's always good to hear what you guys are up to! And I'm pretty sure you have my email.

xóchitl said...

i love avery's zeal. so great.

how nice to have seen a movie you enjoyed. i'll tuck that away for when brian is out of town or late (often).

congrats on starting the house. you're right, oct 31 is still october. good job. i don't know if i'll ever have it in me to build a house. so i'm curious to hear how you do it.

xóchitl said...

oh, and i'm admiring the leaves photo too. i've forgotten that leaves really do change colors and fall.

Tami said...

I didn't throw a Halloween party this year, and it felt wierd. I'm glad to know about the movie-I've thought about watching it. I think about politics and the economy and everything else way too much, glad I'm not alone.

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

I would love to be in the know on your house blog! How very interesting...especially from a Lynn point of view--I can only imagine that it will be all inclusive with ALL types of necessary information. What a fun adventure for you guys. And congrats on clearing the land--that's exciting!

Erick & Norma said...

I'd like to keep tabs on the new house too :) My email is normaalmance@hotmail.com

Michael and Rachel said...

mikeandrach4545@gmail.com
Frequent and fellow blog lurker/stalker(Amber's sister). We went private if you want an invite, send me YOUR address. :)

TD said...

Okay, LOVE the pic of leaves, and your hysterical writing:) So, please call me and be funny, and sign me up for the future issues of the "Westbrook home"

Anonymous said...

Hello Lynn & family, I would love to see your home being built. Your blog is so intertaining and your kids are darling. My email add TnTBooth@msn.com by the way this is Cathy Booth, the booth boys mommy. Take care and have fun