Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Kaua'i Days Three-Four

Having felt like we had seen all that we needed to see by car we headed out to find some snorkeling. The beaches there are nice but not spectacular, they look kinda like Southern California beaches except with no one on them. I felt like I was on a deserted isle. More on that feeling later.

Unfortunately being the tail end of winter, the best snorkeling spots were currently being used as the best surfing spots but we attempted anyhow. We ended up at a place called Tunnels. Which later we found out that this was the spot where surfer Bethany Hamilton got her arm chomped by a shark. This reminds me of when we were on Maui (I guess I do recall a few things) and we found a great place to snorkel off the side of the road and the kids were asleep so we stashed them in a tent on the beach and did a little underwater exploring. I started to get a little creeped out and was anxious about the little ones, because even though we weren't very far out and they were very safe, I thought that it was too good of a news story if we were eaten by sharks and the kids were found on the shore. Little did we know that we were closer to that happening than we thought. The reason it was a secluded spot with nice reef, turtles and no snorkelers was because this sign was posted just a few more yards down from where we had parked.



We had, at one time, a picture of us standing in front of this sign with or snorkel gear but like I said, don't ask.

So back to Kaua'i. On the other islands we have always wished we could spend more time but on this one, we wished we could spend more money. To see the island by air, by sea etc. I think that is where the real beauty lies. But on the bright side, the last day we got to just enjoy our hotel, which we don't usually get to do. Ben got up at 6am on Sat to watch playoff games and I explored the area, including ancient petroglyphs and sacred sites that were right outside of our room on the Wailua river. We were situated where the first Polynesians were thought to have arrived in Hawai'i.





Like having extremely high expectations for a movie that is good but fails to satisfy, I'm afraid Kaua'i didn't deliver like I hoped it would. I hate to even say that, because it is a beautiful destination and many a peoples favorite of the islands I'm sure but it doesn't earn my highest recommendation. Maybe it's because I wasn't really needing a tropical vacation or because the most beautiful beach I've ever seen is five miles away from where I live. I don't know. But landing back on Oahu felt like coming back to the future or like to the mainland.

Final analysis - If you want to get away from it all, you have a soft spot in your heart for hippies (or are one) and if you can afford to take a helicopter ride (doors off please) then it is the place for you. And while you're there you can enjoy some awesome ice cream. But you'll probably find us on the Big Island (top pick), Maui or right here at home.

4 comments:

sara said...

we're lucky it's not shark week, because if it was i would not be getting in the water. trey said to me this morning, "mom, i really hope you guys don't get eaten by a shark in hawaii." me too.
i think you were on a deserted island. isn't that wilson?

Erick & Norma said...

Well even if it's not one of your top picks it still looks pretty nice in pictures. I would take a vacation any day on any island anywhere at this point. It looks good enough to me, better than LA. :) Too bad we can't visit before you leave Hawaii, I guess we'll have to plan on a trip to the Pacifc NW. :)

Sharlene said...

So Beautiful!! It is really nice to know someone with the inside scoop on one of the most beautiful places in the USA. We will be booking a trip with our travel agent tomorrow
(I WISH)! We are actually booking a reservation with BUDGET for a 22ft
(or something) moving van.
S. Dakota, here we come.....

Kathleen Ainsworth said...

I really like the bathing suit you wore on the trip. Where did you get it. I would like one like that. This year I think I'll need to swim in a moo-moo since my belly looks like I need to go on weight watchers. Next year I'll be ready for something cute again.