Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Jilted.

I've spent the last five days, going to the website of the race I wanted to do. I must have asked Ben 20 times, should I do the race? (the answer varied from "nah, it's too expensive" to an apathetic "yeah sure, do it"). Well, it doesn't matter now cause this morning I started my registration and when I went to finish it this evening - Full. After being open since DECEMBER, It fills up today. And it's no April Fools joke. I emailed them to find out.

When I first found out about it I was actually hoping that it was full so I wouldn't be tempted to enter. Today, I was 90% sure I wanted to participate and when I got the message that said the race was full, I was 110% sure I had wanted to do it. It's a sad night in the Westbrook household. Okay, I'm sad, everyone else is asleep.

There's more to my sob story. I took my bike to the shop twice. Once to get the tube and rim strip replaced and today to fix my gears that were ghost shifting. I went swimming today just to do a quick 750 to make sure I could. The Lycra in my suit has seen better days and the rubber strap on my goggles looked like it might not be able to go the distance, but I could. I was so pumped that I came home and ran. I was training. And I was gonna be training for the next two weeks. At first it was a little scary being up (what felt like) so high on the bike again but I worked up the confidence to settle into the aero bars, it was exhilarating and brought back great memories of triathlons past, even ones where I have crashed and burned on the bike or had to exit the course for a potty break or two. I think my old young body and competitive spirit may still be in there underneath all that mommy.

So I can volunteer for the race. Blah. Then all I get is up early and a free t-shirt I didn't really want. Or do I? I can also sign up for one of three other races in the next few months. But none are as close as this was. One is on the day I already signed up to do a 5K on. That one is only $35 too, so even losing the $25 I spent on the 5K, it's still cheaper than the one I'm missing. But I want to do the 5K - you get to chase lifesize bananas and get a free Jamba Juice. The other two are longer than I wanted to swim, bike or run. Or mostly bike or run.

On the up side, my bike works but I have nowhere to ride, unless Doug and Merrill you want to go out. Unfortunately, I only ride on streets that are blocked off for me and where people are waiting with cups of water.

2 comments:

TOVAR said...

I feel your pain. Well, not really since you can push past a much higher level of discomfort hence feeling so sad about not being a part of this whole race, but aside from that it stinks to miss out on "fun".

sara said...

when i get there i will race you. that way you will be sure to get a first place trophy for the mantle.