Just another day in Paradise.

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ants among us

Living in Hawaii, it is understood that we must cohabit with four, six and one-hundred-legged creatures. And generally I don't mind the reptiles, arachnids or insects (except for mosquitoes) but today we got quite the surprise. When I went to make a copy I found this:


Our very own ant farm.







With Miles' fascination with the creatures, I had actually considered getting him an ant farm for Christmas but I think he would have a hard time not being able to touch and/or crush them so I decided against it. But this is an interesting alternative. It is disgusting and shocking but at the same time very cool to be able to watch the army of ants and their larvae.


A few hours after I took this picture I came back to check and they had cleared out, only to reappear later that evening. The printer function still works but if you try to scan or copy, it is a jumbled mess because of the ants. They weren't there two days ago. I can't get to them to exterminate them because they are under the glass. And, although I'm not the biggest animal lover, I feel bad disrupting their kingdom. What do I do?



I looked it up and I found someone else who had the same problem in Hawaii in 2002 and posted a picture here.

5 comments:

sara said...

sick! my dad would have a hay day with the raid on that machine. i say keep it for miles to play with, they look like they are contained. i hope.

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

you have got to be kidding me!! I would have freaked out if I saw that in person!! I freaked out just seeing a picture:) It was fun talking to you today!!

Terese said...

Yikes! That is gross. I was looking at your old posts and I am so jealous you're still wearing shorts and short sleeves. Miles and his little ant pinching is so funny. They have no inhibitions about that stuff!

April said...

Lynn...why is there nothing in here about WA???? You do have something to say right? BTW, all are so cute in your house and we're glad your folks are safe. The Lord definitely hears the prayers of the children!

Ryan Amber and Family said...

cool ant farm. now how about keeping that contained outside? That is amazing did you put sugar in there?